LifeLinks has been providing on-demand Video Interpreting in most languages, including American Sign Language, since 2002. In less time than it takes to measure blood pressure, a trained, experienced, live interpreter will appear on your laptop, videophone, PC, or COW(Computer On Wheels) in practically any language.
With LifeLinks there isn’t any special equipment you have to buy- just download and install our software on a device with a high-speed internet connection and set up an account. There aren’t any minimum charges, so you only pay for what you actually use.
Video conferencing provides doctors the chance to eliminate scheduling problems, two-hour minimums, and cancellation fees associated with hiring on-site interpreters. Referred to as Video Remote Interpreting, VRI allows physicians to use video equipment to connect to an off-site interpreter at the physicians’ convenience and normally at a rate that is competitive with on-site interpreters.
LifeLinks Video Interpreting services promises to provide a regional, certified American Sign Language interpreter in 60-seconds or less over a 3G connection on a laptop, or any existing computer with an external or internal webcam.
The choice to offer VRI as a substitute for an on-site interpreter should be weighed with the type of service the client prefers. VRI meets the spirit and intent of the ADA and may take a short period of adjustment. However, given that an interpreter is available for the appointment, 24/7/365, it is difficult to argue.
Video Remote Interpreting offers a sound cost-effective, efficient solution to the problem of communicating with an often litigious deaf patient while satisfying the requirements of Title III of the Americans for Disabilities Act. It is an easy solution to deploy, and offers the greatest amount of flexibility, thereby saving you time, money and legal exposure.
VRI System Requirements
- Intel 1.8 GHz or faster (single/multiple cores)
- 1 GB RAM or more
- 128 MB video RAM or more
- Webcam ‐ _2 MP or better
- Logitech Webcam Pro 9000
- Microsoft LifeCam HD‐5000
- Logitech Webcam C510
- Logitech Webcam C260
- Philips Webcam SPC1300NC
- Headset with noise cancelling microphone
- Plantronics C210M
- Cyber Acoustics AC‐850
- GN Netcom GN 2025 NC
- GN Netcom GN 9125Flex (wireless headset)
- AT&T ATT‐TL7610 (wireless headset)
- Microsoft Windows XP SP3 (32‐bit/64‐bit)
- Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 (32‐bit/64‐bit)
- Microsoft Windows 7 (32‐bit/64‐bit)
- Microsoft Windows 8 (32‐bit/64‐bit)
- Web browser (Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 and up; Mozilla Firefox 3.5 and up; Google Chrome 8 and up)
- Adobe Flash 10.1 or newer
- Browser cookies required
- Recommended 512 kbps up/down or faster per video call
- Minimum 256 kbps up/down per video call
- Communication Protocols and Ports
- HTTP (port 80) and HTTPS (port 443)
- RTMP/RTMPE (TCP port 1935 outbound only)
- RTMFP (optional ‐‐ _UDP outbound on all ports above 1023)
- Port 8080 (client/server communication port)
- Wired Networks:
- Local admin password required to download and install VRI software
- Wireless Networks:
- Wireless network availability requires network/admin password to connect to your wireless network.
- Supported as long as the available bandwidth on the wireless network meets or exceeds the specifications outlined above
Security and Data
- Web traffic encrypted using SSL over HTTP (port 443)
- RTMPE: Audio and video streams encrypted using Diffie‐Hellman key exchange and HMAC SHA‐256
- Hash algorithm
- RTMFP: AES 128‐bit cypher
- Data Storage
- Call detail records stored in HIPAA‐compliant data centers
- Audio, video and text chat streams are not recorded or stored
- Information collected in form fields is stored in HIPAA‐compliant data centers
- No personally identifiable information is stored at the endpoints
- Cookies persist until either the user logs out or the browser is closed